Are you ready to take the Fall Capsule Wardrobe Challenge with me?
Fall is one of my favorite times of the year for many reasons.
I’m ready for the crisp, cooler weather, and boots!! Jeans, sweaters, boots. Oh, My!!
With the change in weather and the change in wardrobe, it’s a great time to rethink our approach to our closet.
It can be so easy to buy and buy, more and more clothes when the new season starts. All the great new styles and colors. I can get sucked right in and over spend. Resulting in too many choices and more clothes than I can wear.
A Capsule Wardrobe is the perfect solution to the closet that’s spilling over with too many clothes.
The idea of the challenge is to reduce your closet to a set number of pieces. Wearing only those pieces for a specified amount of time.
In the Fall Capsule Wardrobe Challenge, we will pick 30 pieces and length of the challenge is 90 days.
Minimizing your closet and limiting spending will also reduce the time it takes to get dressed. This should give you more time and energy to focus on more important things.
When the challenge is over, it may be just the motivator you’re looking for to minimize other areas of your life as well!
Now, you’re ready to start picking out your pieces and get the challenge underway.
This is a Capsule Wardrobe with Forgiveness.
Before picking your 30 items for Fall, try to donate any clothing you’re not using at all, doesn’t fit, or you don’t like. This will make choosing a little easier.
When choosing your 30 items, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Think about your real life. Your items will be different than mine depending on what your normal days look like (work, play, church, etc.).
- Don’t count items no one will see (or should see). I work out but never go anywhere in my workout clothes. I won’t count those items, as well as under garments, socks, pajamas, “lazy day at home clothes”, etc.
- Don’t count jewelry. Switching out your jewelry makes the outfits more fun and keeps you from getting bored.
- The items you choose should be able to be mixed and matched with several other items. A plain shirt can be worn alone or with a jacket or sweater. A nice top can be worn with a skirt, dress pants or jeans. A great pair of shoes or boots can be worn with jeans as well as a skirt or dress. Versatility is key.
This Capsule Wardrobe is designed to simplify your life. The guide is not meant to be closet jail!!
Here is where the Forgiveness comes in.
- If you have an item in your Capsule Wardrobe that just doesn’t work (maybe because the weather has taken a turn) switch it out. Try not to make more than 3 switches over the course of the 90-day challenge.
- If you absolutely, positively, have to shop, limit yourself to NO MORE than 3 new pieces over the 90 days and try to keep those purchases around $30 a piece. That way you’re not completely derailing your spending efforts.
- If you have a one-time event that your Capsule Wardrobe can’t cover like a wedding or a funeral, give yourself a break and dig into your regular closet for this one day if you have to.
- When you print the guide, you’ll see a Wild Card category. This is your opportunity to beef up an area where you want more items. I wear mostly jeans and I love shoes. Plus, my weather doesn’t get as cold as other areas of the country until January. I plan to keep my layers a little lighter and add in more jeans and shoes (still sticking to the 30 items).
Once you choose your capsule wardrobe, take everything else out of your closet that doesn’t belong in the challenge. Remove temptation!!! Move the items you’re not using to the attic, basement, or a spare closet. Out of sight, out of mind.
Your wardrobe should be reduced down to 30 pieces you love and look forward to wearing. Now getting dressed in the morning should be a breeze!!
The start date for your Capsule Wardrobe Challenge is completely up to you. I will be taking the Challenge in Oct, Nov, and Dec.
Let the fun begin!!
I can’t wait to see your creativity!!
Join the newsletter
Get your Capsule Wardrobe Challenge now!