What are some of the things you do every day with your husband? Probably like the rest of us, you sleep next to each other, have dinner, maybe have a cup of coffee.
Do you have anything that the two of you do intentionally every day? Things that you make a point to focus on daily? Maybe they are some of the same things (coffee, dinner, etc.).
My husband and I are very aware that if you’re not careful a great relationship can take a sharp turn at the drop of a hat.
It’s easy to plod along every day in your routine of life, jobs, kids, etc. and not really pay attention to your marriage. We all “see” our spouse on a day-to-day basis but how many times do we really stop and give our marriage the attention it deserves.
If you’ve read my article Making My Husband My Top Button you know my husband and I are very intentional about spending time together and connecting each day.
As a wife and mom, it’s unreasonable to think my husband and I will spend hours of uninterrupted time together every day. Life happens. Some days we are lucky to get minutes of uninterrupted time together.
Some days are busier than others. Some weeks are busier than others. But, every day we try to give our relationship attention.
Here are 5 things I do every day with my husband:
- Connect throughout the day. We talk to each other a time or two during the day, but we also text. We send each other messages that are sometimes important, but mostly loving and goofy. We have our own secret codes and messages we use when we text. Of course, we send the usual messages like “I Love You” and “I’ll be home in about 20 mins”. But, we also send each other things just to make the other smile. Just because!!
- Sit together. Even on really hectic days, we make a point to just sit together, even if it’s for only 10 or 15 mins. Here’s one easy way we spend time together. We almost always have dinner together as a family. But, as we all know, occasionally there are those CRAZY busy days, where nothing is normal. On those days, we may not be able to sit together until bedtime. Sitting together, even for a few minutes, gives us the opportunity to talk, catch up and maybe even hold hands.
- Kiss. Kissing is personal and can connect you as a couple. There isn’t always time for real intimacy (which we all know men need a little more than women). A kiss is a small way to connect intimately even just for a few minutes. At the end of those CRAZY busy days, we will be getting ready for bed and my husband will look at me and say “have you kissed me today?” Take time to kiss every day, until you have time for more!! Here’s a fun article about the 15-second kiss.
- Ask his opinion. I’m really guilty of just doing what needs to be done in my house. It needs to be done and I do it. Not the really big stuff of course. But, sometimes those little things need to be handled and I just make it happen. I have to remind myself that my husband wants (no – he needs) to be included in some of those decisions. My husband has told me that he just wants to be asked. He has told me he doesn’t even care if I do it his way (some of the time), he just wants to feel like he was included. He wants me to involve him in the process.
- Listen to him. We’ve all heard that women talk more than men. If that’s the case, I’m probably the typical woman. When my husband comes home from work I want to tell him all about my day and our daughter and what’s happening with her. I have to remember to stop and let him talk. I have to let him tell me about his day. I have to give him the opportunity to vent or tell a funny story from his day. If I’m the typical woman, then he is the typical man. He doesn’t often have much to share, but I have to be willing to listen, just in case.
Looking for more? Check out 5 Books that will TRANSFORM your marriage.
I’d love to know what you do every day with your husband to be intentional about your marriage. Please leave me a comment.